Glen E. Ryan

These are short stories from my 94 year old father, about his life memories. He was born in a sod house on a farm in western Kansas in 1918. Told by him or written by him and embellished by me. Hope you enjoy them!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Musical? A little...

My Dad played the guitar and the musical harp. He could play them together by having a metal holder he put on his head and shoulders that held the harmonica. When he and Mom were in their early marriage they were limited where they could go and people in the area would ask them to play for dances at their homes. So Mom would play the old pump organ and Dad would play the guitar and harmonica while people danced. As a young boy I thought I should learn to play the guitar because my Dad could teach me. He did teach me a little and I can almost remember one little song. I had to practice many hours to be any good playing the guitar. I did play the harmonica but was not much interested in it. When I married Helen, I got the message that twanging on the guitar was not very respected, so I did not continue with that. During our marriage I did buy an accordion and got so I could play it but my talents were somewhat lacking and I did not take the time needed to get really good at it. As far as listening to music, Helen liked classical music so I was taught to like it also. I still like to listen to classical music and listen to it played on the piano. I love to sit and listen to my children play any instrument and sing. It has become a tradition to have my children and grandchildren play or sing to me whenever I go to their homes. Helen takes credit for the music in our family. She made sure all the children took piano lessons, at least the girls, and made sure all of them sang whenever they could. It has been a joy in our lives!

12 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear from dad's children and grandchildren and their spouses what instruments they play. I play the piano, organ and clarinet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool! I play the piano, saxophone, guitar, and ukulele. I sing also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play the piano, violin, organ, and guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I play the piano and sing! My oldest son, Nick, who is on his mission now, plays the piano, saxaphone, and sings. The Spanish ward he is in now in Rimgrove, CA, had no accompanist until he arrived! His sight reading skills have improved tons since he arrived there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, my daughter, plays the piano, flute, guitar, and a little saxaphone. She sings alto in the church choir.

      Delete
  5. I play the piano, organ, flute, piccolo,and sing. Mom also impressed upon me the beauty of classical music and I've taught my children to love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Sherry using Steve's account. I play the piano and love to sing alto. Ammon and Aaron play the baritone. Ammon also joined our stake choir and has really picked up the baritone part. Aaron also plays the tuba and is teaching himself piano. Ryan plays percussion - drums, bells, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I play the piano, flute, piccolo, and I also sing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondered where my love for Classical Music came from. Kyle got in the car I drive to school the other day and heard the classical music turned up loud and gave me this face that said, "Seriously?" Haha. I'll just have to do whatever Grandma did to get Grandad to like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I play the violin and a little bit of piano. I've probably been reading music longer than I've been reading books! I have a decent singing voice also and have always LOVED singing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I play the piano, guitar, cello, upright bass, harmonica, and sing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I played the drums through junior high and high school. I hated carrying a drum in marching band in high school and was glad to make the football team so I didn't have to march around on the field at half time. I also sing in the community choir and the church choir. I love performing Handel's Messiah. I sang in High school in the choir and lettered in music for a performance singing the base in the cockney quartet in the production of "My Fair Lady." I had broken my foot the week of the performance playing football and had to go onstage with a walking cast. I was in several dance numbers and just clomped through it with a smile (the show must go on) Eventually the bottom of the cast broke (Dr. Fields was not surprised.) Dean

    ReplyDelete